Security has been beefed up at the Murtala Muhammed Airports, Ikeja, ahead of the British…
The Federal Government says there is no new fresh case from 61 contacts of the index case of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country, NAN reports.
The Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, at a media update on COVID-19 in Abuja on Friday, said the contacts had been monitored since the announcement of the first confirmed case.
The virus was brought into the country by an Italian who entered Nigeria on February 25 from Milan for a business visit.
The index case was confirmed on February 27, and presently being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos and is responding to treatment.
According to the minister, 21 contacts of the index in Lagos and 40 contacts in Ogun State are being followed up.
“The contacts of the index case are currently under supervised self-isolation and the states have provided them with the temperature tools,” he said.
“Of the 148 passengers on the manifest of the index case flight, 55 are actively being followed up.
“The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and Port Health Services are in touch with them to monitor their temperatures and possible appearance of COVID-19 symptoms.
“We are tracing out others. I urge any passengers of the Turkish Airlines Flight to Lagos on February 24 listening to me to contact us on 080097000-10,’’ he said.
He assured Nigerians that the government was working to prevent the spread of the virus through the activities of the multi-sectoral Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) led by NCDC.
The minister told the journalists that they were five laboratories with capability for in-country testing for COVID-19.
Mr Ehanire, however, advised citizens to discourage the spread of misinformation that causes fear and panic.
“We continue to monitor closely, the global situation, with cases spreading quickly in other countries; as at March 2020, a total of 93,090 confirmed cases reported, 88.4 per cent in China, 3,198 deaths.
“While the outbreak in Wuhan and more broadly in China is reducing, case numbers are increasing outside of China. Over 90 per cent of case reported in last 24 hours reported outside of China.
“We also continue to closely compare our infection prevention and control measures with what obtains in other countries and I can confirm that our standing in Nigeria is among the best.
“Number of countries affected within the last 24 hours increased by five (Argentina, Chile, Poland, South Africa and Ukraine) making total of 77 countries with seven of these Africa.
“Algeria, Egypt, Tunisa, Morocco, Senegal, South Africa and Nigeria,’’ he said.
In addition, the minister advised Nigerians to remain calm and avoid panic at this time and also abstain from rumour mongering.
Mr Ehanire between Jan. 7 and March 5, a total of 21 suspected cases have been identified across four states in Nigeria.
“The states are Lagos, Ogun, FCT and Kano, there is only confirmed case of COVID-19 in Nigeria, which is the index case and no death.
“There were three new suspected cases on March 4, two cases were negative; l repeat that there is only one confirmed case of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
“Please, disregard all rumours of new cases in Nigeria. Verified news will come from the Federal Ministry of Health and NCDC,’’ he said.
In his remarks, Clement Peter, the Officer-in-Charge of World Health Organisation (WHO) commended the minister for holding frequent briefings to ensure that Nigerians are kept safe from COVID-19.
Mr Peter said the frequently of holding the briefing would help to keep Nigerians informed, saying the “biggest enemy is now misinformation.
“We need to support the government because the government cannot do it alone. It is our responsibility because a case in the country is threat to everyone,’’ he said.
Mr Peter, however, assured of the WHO’s support to Federal Government to contain the spread of the virus.
PDP Reacts To Dethronement of Sanusi As Emir of Kano
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called the dethronement of Emir Muhammad Sanusi II, by the Kano state government a huge political blunder.
The PDP in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, stated that the timing of the action is worrisome.
The statement read: “The PDP however calls for calm and circumspection from all quarters, especially, given the security and political stability concerns in our nation.”
Recall that the State Government dethroned Muhammad Sanusi II over what it described as disrespect of lawful instructions from Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje of Kano State and other lawful authorities.
Just few hours after he was removed, a new Emir, Aminu Ado Bayero, was immediately appointed by the state government as the 15th Emir of Kano to replace Sanusi.
The Peoples Democratic Party further noted the deposition of Emir Muhammad Sanusi II by the Kano state government at a time that the nation is battling worsening insecurity challenges shows the insensitivity and poor appraisal of core national stability issues by the All Progressives Congress (APC) administration.
The PDP, however called for calm and circumspection from all quarters, especially, given the security and political stability concerns in the nation
Women Exchange Blows Over Toilet Roll As Coronavirus Causes Shortage
A video has surfaced online showing the moment three women physically assaulted each other over a pack of toilet rolls as Coronavirus causes shortage.
The incident, according to reports, happened in Australia as citizens of the country are stocking up on supplies just in case the worst happens and it is leading to altercations.
The video shows one of the women with a trolley stacked with packs of toilet rolls in a shopping centre and the other woman wanted only one pack but she wouldn’t agree.
As she also desperately needed some of the scarce product, she insisted to get one at all cost, resulting in an altercation and physical attacks.
The Australian police have charged the women over the fight.
More than 102 000 people have been infected and the death toll keeps increasing by the day.
Former President Obasanjo Speaks On Removal Of Sanusi As Emir of Kano
A former President, Olusegun Obasanjo has broken his silence following the dethronement of Sanusi as the Emir of Kano. Recall that Governor Abdullahi Ganduje-led governement on Monday dethroned Sanusi as Emir of Kano for being disrespectful to lawful authorities.
Reacting, Obasanjo in a statement he personally signed on Monday, said Sanusi’s dethronment was good and bad. According to him, the dethronment is good because Sanusi has paid the price.
The statement, which was shared by Senator Dino Melaye on Twitter reads, “I woke up this morning and after my morning exercise and meeting with my staff, I heard the sad and good news of your removal by the Executive Counicl of the Kano State Government.
“It is sad because it is underserved, it is good because you have paid the price. My prayer is that God should give you the fortitude and the courage to continue in the path that you have chosen for yourself in the best interest of our country and humanity.
“Please accept, Your Royal Highness the assurance of my highest consideration.”
Meanwhile, one of the sons of late Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, Aminu Ado Bayero was immediatemy named as the 15th Fulani Emir of the state.